While the Okanagan Valley is known for its gorgeous summer days spent at the beach or on the boat, it is also famous for the incredible winter activities that can be experienced on the many ski hills surrounding Kelowna.
These nearby mountains enable visitors the flexibility of enjoying the winter adventureland before returing to town to indulge in après with friends and family.
Big White Ski Resort
Located less than 60km from Kelowna, Big White Ski Resort offers year-round activities from skiing and snowmobiling to incredible hiking and sightseeing. Known for its unrivaled champagne snow, this award-winning ski destination has become a favorite for all ages. With an accommodation capacity of over 8,000 visitors and with property types spanning the spectrum condos to luxury homes, Big White Ski Resort continues to attract more outdoor-enthusiasts year after year.
- Elevation: 2,319m (7,606ft)
- Village elevation: 1,755m (5,706ft)
- Vertical drop: 777m (2,550ft)
- Night vertical drop: 495m (1,624ft)
- Number of lifts: 15
- Annual snowfall: 750cm (24.5ft)
- Runs: 118
- Difficulty: 18% novice, 54% intermediate, 22% advanced, 6% extreme
Apex Mountain Resort
Located near Penticton in the South Okanagan, Apex Mountain Resort offers visitors a handsome display of dry powder across its uncrowded slopes. Named Best Small Destination Resort by Ski Canada Magazine, Apex is host to year-round activities that include horseback riding, hiking and biking during the warm summer months. During the winter, guests can enjoy night skiing, terrain parks, tubing, snowshoeing and more.
- Annual snowfall: 600cm (19 ft or 228in)
- Vertical drop: 610m (2,000ft)
- Runs: 67 trails
- Lift total: 5 (including 1 high-speed quad chairlift)
- Difficulty: 16% novice, 48% intermediate, 36% advance
Baldy Mountain Resort
Situated just minutes from Osoyoos and Oliver in the South Okanagan, Baldy Mountain Resort’s has a base elevation of 5,650 feet above sea level, sitting 2,000 feet below the impressive mountain peak. Perfectly spaced trees and open bowls create an exhilarating downhill experience for skiers and boarders. Baldy also offers seasonal kid-camps, lessons for all ages and private instruction.
- Peak Elevation: 2303m (7557ft)
- Base Elevation: 1726m (5665ft)
- Runs & Acreage: 34 runs & 600 acres of trails
- Glades & Trees: 340 acres
- Average snowfall: 21.5ft/650cm
- Average temperature: -5C/23F
- Difficulty: 29% novice, 41% intermediate, 30% advanced
Silver Star Mountain Resort
Silver Star Mountain Resort, located 22km from Vernon, B.C., is designed to replicate a charming alpine village with its brightly painted storefronts. With a generous helping of boutique shopping and culinary options, Silver Star Mountain Resort has become a favorite among families and visitors of all types. The popularity of this mountain has made it one of the most desirable in the province and though the abundance of winter activities are ample, there continues to be a great deal of things to do in the remaining three seasons.
- Elevation: 1,915m (6,280ft)
- Village Elevation: 1,609 (5,280ft)
- Vertical drop: 760m (2,500 ft)
- Average snowfall: 700cm (23ft)
- Skiable area: 1,103h (2,725a)
- Runs: 108 marked downhill trails
- Lift total: 11
- Uphill capacity: 13,800 skiers/boarders per hour
- Difficulty: 20% novice, 50% intermediate, 30% advanced